Today’s podcast is the final one in our series about Italian unification. As we saw in the last podcast the first 10 years of a united Italy after 1860 saw the new state go through severe birth pains. In the last podcast we looked at:
- Continuing differences between North and South;
- The problems caused by “Piedmontisation”; and
- The Brigand’s war;
In today’s podcast we’ll focus on:
- The disillusionment of the radicals and democrats after 1860;
- The attitude of the Catholic Church to the new state; and
- The effect of the death of Cavour.